Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Wordless Wednesday....The day the Music Died

While we were in IOWA for our Second Varsity Football Game



I got this Hair Brained Ides to Visit the Plane Crash Site of Buddy Holly, The Big Bopper and Ritchie Valens.  My husband was less than enthused especially when I got us lost and we only found the site by accident!  Hey no one ever said I was an expert map reader!



From Wikipedia:
In 1988, Ken Paquette, a Wisconsin fan of the 1950s era, erected a stainless steel monument depicting a steel guitar and a set of three records bearing the names of each of the three performers.[12] The monument is located on private farmland, about one quarter of a mile west of the intersection of 315th Street and Gull Avenue, five miles (8 km) north of Clear Lake. There is a post-sign of horn-rimmed glasses at the access point to the crash site. Paquette also created a similar stainless steel monument to the three musicians located outside the Riverside Ballroom in Green Bay, Wisconsin, where Holly, the Big Bopper and Valens played on the night of February 1, 1959. This second memorial was unveiled on July 17, 2003.[13] In February 2009, a new memorial made by Paquette for pilot Roger Peterson was unveiled at the crash site.[14]

New Paper Clipping from Clear Lake Iowa newspaper Febuary 3rd, 1959

So I suppose your wondering why I know so much about this.  Wells Lets just say my DAD would crank "RAVE ON" way to many times in my childhood and thanks to him I know way to much about 50's rock- n- roll!

3 comments:

  1. Nice story... Thanks again for the WW site name.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I'm your newest GFC follower and twitter. I like 50's Rock, even though I was born in the 60's. I have also watched the Buddy Holly story "several" times.



    I have 3 blogs
    musingsmom.blogspot.com
    musingsmomspirit.blogspot.com
    musingsmombible.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete