Tuesday, December 13, 2011

What this glass means to me....




When I look at this glass it brings tears to my eyes. Tears of sorrow, tears of joy and tears of years of remembering.  Some of you may look at this glass and wonder why in the HEdoublehockeysticks is she so emotional over a stupid 1982 Limited Edition Pizza Hut ET Glass.  Well let me explain.

I remember the day like it was yesterday.  I was 9 and I was out garage sailing with my grandma (mom-mom) like I would do every Thursday from about June-September, when we found this glass that I just had to have. I asked my grandma if I could buy it and I she told me “ Carrey, why do you want this glass, its just junk?” I continued to tell my grandma that it was awesome and that it was the coolest glass ever and I apparently convinced her that I had to have it and for 25 cents it was clearly a steal.  I really didn’t have to convince her all to hard, she would always, pretty much just buy me whatever I wanted if it was under $2.00.  Nickel, Dime and Quarter items were pretty much a given. 

When we returned home that afternoon we dumped out our bags on the living room floor and went through our purchases.  While my grandma made dinner I sorted my treasures into two piles, one to take home and the other to leave at my grandparents.  When I got to my ET glass I got up and walked into the kitchen where my grandma was and asked her if she could wash my glass so I could use it for dinner.  She gladly washed it for me and thought for sure that I would use it once and it would go home with me.  Boy was she wrong.  That glass remained in my grandparent’s cupboard for the last 28 years, it moved three times with them over the years and never did they ask me to take it home with me or try and give it back to me. This glass became a staple in my life.  Every time I went to my grandparent’s house I used my ET glass.  From elementary school to high school, from marriage to having a son of my own that glass was mine weather I wanted to drink from it or not.  There was not a choice in the matter.  It graced the table at Thanksgiving, Christmas and Sunday Dinners, and it marked the spot where I was to sit and nobody ever even asked if they could use the glass ever, not even my son. This glass was mine and mine only!

Yesterday I brought that glass to a new home.  It’s been over a year now that my grandpa passed away and slowly my son; mom and I are going through my grandparent’s things.  Yesterday I went to my son’s man fort (where we have been storing their items) to look for my grandparents Christmas Tree to bring with for our Christmas vacation, and I found my glass.  It was sitting on their end table from the last time we went through their things.  I cried so hard that last time that I couldn’t bring myself to bring in all the items that were given to me.  Yesterday feeling pretty nostalgic and sentimental I bought the glass in the house with me along with 2 snow globes that had frozen water in them to thaw.  Tonight as I was going to sit down and play some “Words with Friends” I passed by the glass and thought, I should write its story.
 
So here it is, the story of the 1982 Limited Edition Pizza Hut ET Glass that got saved from the landfill about 29 years ago. It went from that garage sale to my grandparents home in Bloomington, to their Condo in Richfield, and to my grandpa’s assisted living apartment in Waconia to its current location in Hutchinson, I would say this glass has had quit a life.  One that any other typical 1982 Limited Edition Pizza Hut ET glass probably never has had.  

No comments:

Post a Comment